Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cricket, valentine's Day and Firies


Finally time was here to go to the cricket on Friday night. My friend Sean has member tickets so I was lucky enough to sit in the members section with all the civilised people....I probably stood out like dogs balls. I finished work at 1:30pm so I could get to the game on-time and we met each other out the front of the member gates. Note: I will be throwing the word 'member' in as much as possible. We entered through the member gates and headed for the member stand and found a comfy seat with a great view of the groud (see pic below). We were also near the commentary box which is situated in the members section. I took a picture (as seen above) you can just see Mark Taylor's head and Mark Nicholas head, more like just their hair. I waved profusely at them but they were too busy watching the cricket.





Me and Sean (Pictured above) had a good old natter and hoped the rain wouldn't stop play. We got to see all the Aussies bat and I got to do a 6 signal like Billy Bowden because Ryan Harris belted a 6 off the last over before being given out after the 5th ball. I thought it was pretty funny and it definately beats doing it in front of the telly at home.........because we were in the member's section.
Rain stopped play so we headed home at about 8:30pm but I was still super happy to have seen the aussie cricketers from the MEMBERS SECTION. Oh! I also bought an Aussie warm up shirt and I wore it to bed that night and all the next day, it needs washing now before I wear the insignia off it.
Saturday was a day of study for me because I was sitting my Bush Fire-fighter exam on Sunday morning. I studied all day and stopped every now and then for food and walking breaks. Grahame and I walked to Gymea in the afternoon which is an hour walk.Yes, I am still trying to lose weight.
Sunday morning I was up early and ready for my exam. Elise (fire-fighter friend) picked me up from home about an hour and a half early because we wanted to study some more and go over the trucks before we headed out to do our practical. First we sat the theory and it took about an hour because some of the questions were kind of obscure. I managed to get 17 out of 20 which was a pass so I was very happy. Our excellent assessors went through everything we missed and I was explained to in more details why we need to wear goggles which was a great learning curve.
After theory it was out to the paddocks to do the practical side. We ran through 5 different fire scenarios includeing large fires and fire over-runs. My assessors were pleased with my work and told me I communicated well........not sure how because the fire-ground radios weren't working very well. I did impress our Deputy Captain at one stage by checking on our Hydrant fillers, this is when we fill the truck from a Hydrant off the road. I managed to work the portable pump okay apart from the fact I forgot to switch it on. I bowled out lots of hoses and as usual me and Elise worked amazingly together. I always work well with her and hopefully now she can train as a driver.
In the arvo Grahame and I had dinner together, I cooked spag bol. He surprised me with some flowers with a chocolate in the middle and an 'I Love You' balloon. I haven't had the time to make his card yet but I will do it tonight and surprise him tomorrow............I feel slack for not getting him anything but I did cook him dinner and he was very happy. Then I got to watch more cricket COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Australia won again.
I got to work this morning to see an email from Croft (our secretary at firies) congratulating all those that passed the Bush Fire-fighter assessment. I thanked him and Matt Kelly and Greg Freeman for all there hard work. Not sure how our mate Jacques passed because he seems to know nothing about fire-fighting and he has been up at the station as long as me.





No comments: